Kenya:Governors threaten to shut down counties over lack of funds
By Samuel Ouma
Operations at the county governments are set to be halted from September 17 should the standoff surrounding Revenue Sharing Formula persists.
In a statement to media houses on Thursday, Council of Governors (CoG) chairman Wycliffe Oparanya said that failure by the Senate to approve the third basis Revenue sharing formula has plunged counties into deep financial woos.
The Kakamega Governor said counties are not able to pay healthcare workers and other staffers their salaries and allowances.
“If the prevailing situation persists, effective Thursday, September 17, Counties will have no choice but to shut down. Consequently, we shall release all county employees to proceed on leave until an amicable solution on the issue is reached,” they said.
The Governors also threatened to sponsor a motion to have the Senate dissolve for failing to safeguard the interests of County governments.
“To this end, we hereby forewarn the Senate that a Petition for its dissolution can be initiated by any member of the public through the High Court as provided for under Article 258 of the Constitution,” Oparanya said.
A 12-member select committee had been formed to break the stalemate after the House failed for the ninth times to agree on the County Revenue Formula. However, the committee is yet to reach on an agreement two weeks since it was created.
Members of the committee include Johnson Sakaja (Nairobi), Mohamud Mohamed (Mandera), Stewart Madzayo (Kilifi), Kipchumba Murkomen (Elgeyo Marakwet), and Anwar Loitiptip (Lamu).
Others are Mutula Kilonzo Jnr (Makueni), Moses Wetangula (Bungoma), Susan Kihika (Nakuru), Samson Cherargey (Nandi), Moses Kajwang (Homa Bay), John Kinyua (Laikipia) and Ledama Olekina (Narok).