- The Trophy Tour, presented by Etihad Airways, visits vibrant football city Lagos as part of its global Trophy Tour
- City legend Micah Richards will accompany the trophies for a series of exciting fan events
- After a record-breaking 2018/19 season, City becomes the first soccer club to take the men’s and women’s trophies on a global tour at the same time
- City will be hosting a match day screening as City take on Brighton on Saturday 31 August
Lagos, Nigeria: Manchester City is bringing its silverware to Lagos, Nigeria to celebrate with fans as part of their global trophy tour, presented by Etihad Airways on 31 August. Supported by regional partners Marathonbet and Star Beer, the Trophy Tour is a part of a global club celebration after making football history by becoming the first English football club to lift six trophies across both its men’s and women’s teams in the same season.
Club legend, Micah Richards, who played centre-back for Manchester City from 2005 – 2014, making 246 appearances, will accompany the trophies in Lagos for a series of exciting fan activities.
On Saturday 31 August, City will also be hosting a CityLive! match day viewing party and welcoming hundreds of fans as their eagerly watch the team take on Brighton at the Etihad Stadium.
One of the highlights of the Trophy Tour is an immersive fan experience that is modelled to look like the home dressing room at the Etihad Stadium, giving fans who would never get to visit Manchester the chance to experience the excitement of a City matchday.
As well as the opportunity to take photos with the six trophies, fans will be able to create their very own walk out video to experience what it’s like to be a Manchester City player.
City Legend Richards, shared his excitement on bringing the trophies to Nigeria: “Nigeria is known as a very vibrant football country so Lagos was the perfect location for the Trophy Tour.
“The intensity and passion of the City fans in Nigeria always blows me away so I can’t wait to meet them and hear about their favourite City moments from over the years.”
Nuria Tarre, Chief Marketing Officer at City Football Group, commented: “We’re excited to have the men’s and women’s trophies on tour at the same time. This is a football first and we can’t wait to celebrate our historic success with fans in the Nigeria. The tour will bring an authentic City experience to Lagos, allowing those fans who would never get to travel to Manchester the chance to experience the club they love closer than ever and right in their hometowns.”
The tour is visiting a number of destinations worldwide including Thailand, China and India. Fans can keep up to date at www.mancity.com/trophytour and via the Club’s Cityzens platform.
- Manchester City embark on the Trophy Tour following a record-breaking season
- Following back to back Premier League titles, the Blues claimed a further five trophies in the same season; FA Cup, Community Shield, Carabao Cup, Women’s FA Cup and FA WSL Continental Cup
- Manchester City is taking six trophies on a global Trophy Tour, presented by Etihad Airways. Throughout the tour, the trophies will visit a number of destinations around the world. Across each destination, Manchester City will be hosting fan events as well as visiting some of their global community projects
- Manchester City will become the first Club to showcase the men’s and women’s trophies on tour at the same time
- View the Trophy Tour video here: https://youtu.be/ZnDBE_UKd1g
- Played as centre-back for Manchester City from 2005 – 2014
- Made 246 appearances, scoring nine goals
- Won three trophies during his time at City, including the FA Cup in 2011 which ended a 35-year trophy drought
- Part of the Premier League-winning squad in 2012 after the team won the last game of the season versus QPR to secure the title
About Manchester City Football Club
Manchester City FC is an English Premier League club initially founded in 1880 as St Mark’s West Gorton. It officially became Manchester City FC in 1894 and has since then gone onto win the European Cup Winners’ Cup, six League Championship titles, including four Premier League titles (2012, 2014, 2018, 2019), and six FA Cups. Manchester City FC is one of seven clubs comprising the City Football Group and counts New York City FC and Melbourne City FC among its sister clubs.
Under manager Pep Guardiola, one of the most highly decorated managers in world football, the Club plays its domestic and UEFA Champions League home fixtures at the Etihad Stadium, a spectacular 55,000 seat arena that City have called home since 2003. Today, the Stadium sits on the wider Etihad Campus, which also encompasses the City Football Academy, a state-of-the-art performance training and youth development facility located in the heart of East Manchester. Featuring a 7,000 capacity Academy Stadium, the City Football Academy is also where Manchester City Women’s Football Club and the Elite Development Squad train on a daily basis and play their competitive home games.