HID Global Helps Put ID Cards And Documents Into The Hands Of Millions Throughout Africa
June 19, 2019
JOHANNESBURG, South Africa, June 19, 2019,-/African Media Agency (AMA)/- It is essential that governments be able to issue identification credentials so citizens can exercise their civic rights and duties, access programs and services, and travel freely to and from other countries. HID Global®, a worldwide leader in trusted identity solutions, has enabled numerous African countries to issue millions of these credentials as the company helps to propel a variety of initiatives across the continent aimed at providing “identity for all.”
“Secure issuance is a key part of our identity portfolio that is helping nations in Africa and other emerging economies close a big gap between citizens who have a legal way to identify themselves and those who don’t,” said Craig Sandness, Vice President & Managing Director – Secure Issuance with HID Global. “Our successes in Africa range from Angola’s voter ID card program to deployments in multiple countries that enable governments to issue national IDs, driver’s licenses, health cards, work permits and refugee identification credentials. We are also involved actively in designing programs for civil servants to securely access government buildings and government assets such as PCs or server rooms.”
For many countries, an e-Passport is the building block of democracy and cornerstone of citizenship as their first step to launching an identification program. HID Global’s secure issuance offering spans all aspects of creating and managing these and other credentials and issuing them wherever citizens are located. Notable deployments in Africa include:
- Resident, Healthcare and other National IDs: Eight African countries have either deployed or are developing one or more of these ID card programs using HID Global printers. Several are also in the early stages of deploying systems for issuing government employee ID cards for use by members of their military and police forces.
- Voter IDs: Angola used HID® FARGO® DTC5500LMX printers to roll out a voter ID program in over 200 municipalities and cities across the country. Over 650 systems were deployed in Angola to issue over 8 million cards in less than 8 months.
- ePassports: Several countries in Africa are using HID Global’s ID personalization systems for ePassports that provide successful identification and an easier travel experience for citizens.
- Driver’s Licenses: HID Global’s decentralized driver’s license issuance solution is being used by several African governments. Noticeably, one country is using HID decentralized desktop solutions to speed program deployment for over 25 million citizens. The company is also supplying pre-printed smartcards that include various overt and covert security features. These cards are then personalized locally with photo, variables data, custom holographic laminate and owner biometrics using FARGO HDP5000 printers.
- Refugee Identification: HID Global is working with international organizations to help connect African refugees with vital resources in multiple countries. The company’s HID FARGO HDP8500 and HDP5000 printers are being deployed at refugee camps to issue the necessary credentials for accessing food, water, shelter, financial aid and educational and other services.
- Student IDs: The West African Examinations Council (WAEC) using HID FARGO DTC ID card printers/encoders to improve the efficiency, accuracy and integrity of its educational testing program for more than 2 million students annually.
The latest additions to HID Global’s portfolio address the challenges African nations face in issuing credentials to remote locations while also serving high-volume needs of large metropolitan areas. The company’s HID® FARGO® ConnectÔ solution enables ID cards to be issued from anywhere and any device via a web interface in a trusted environment, changing the paradigm for governments whose citizens live in distant, hard-to-reach locations with limited infrastructure.
For governments that need to meet the needs of large metropolitan populations, the new HID FARGO HDP6600 printer offers the world’s fastest retransfer throughput for ID card personalization.
To learn more about HID’s card personalization solutions, go to www.hidglobal.com.
Stay Connected with HID Global
Distributed by African Media Agency (AMA) on behalf of HID Global.
About HID Global
HID Global powers the trusted identities of the world’s people, places and things. We make it possible for people to transact safely, work productively and travel freely. Our trusted identity solutions give people convenient access to physical and digital places and connect things that can be identified, verified and tracked digitally. Millions of people around the world use HID products and services to navigate their everyday lives, and over 2 billion things are connected through HID technology. We work with governments, educational institutions, hospitals, financial institutions, industrial businesses and some of the most innovative companies on the planet. Headquartered in Austin, Texas, HID Global has over 3,000 employees worldwide and operates international offices that support more than 100 countries. HID Global® is an ASSA ABLOY Group brand. For more information, visit www.hidglobal.com.
© 2019 HID Global Corporation/ASSA ABLOY AB. All rights reserved. HID, HID Global, the HID Blue Brick logo, iCLASS, iCLASS SE, HID Mobile Access, Seos and the Chain Design are trademarks or registered trademarks of HID Global, ASSA ABLOY AB, or its affiliates(s) in the US and other countries and may not be used without permission. All other trademarks, service marks, and product or service names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective owners.
Nkemnji Global Tech
Pan African Visions | October 22, 2020 1:31 am
350.org expresses solidarity with Nigeria’s #EndSARS movement while condemning the injustices being meted on Nigerian nationals
Pan African Visions | October 22, 2020 1:12 am
Sierra Leone: Concerned Students appeal to FBC administration to slate date for Student Union Elections
Pan African Visions | October 22, 2020 12:56 am
October 22, 2020 2:16 am
Merck Foundation partners with Burundi First Lady to build healthcare capacity, empower girls in education and break the infertility stigma
October 22, 2020 2:04 am
Statement of the Prosecutor of the International Criminal Court, Fatou Bensouda, at a media briefing in Khartoum, Sudan: “There is an urgent need for justice in Sudan; sustainable peace and reconciliation are built on the stabilizing pillar of justice”
October 22, 2020 1:45 am
October 22, 2020 1:31 am
October 22, 2020 1:12 am