Call Us Now: (240) 429 2177

Nigeria: Okonjo-Iweala Finally Speaks On Court Ruling Over ‘Missing’ N30 Trillion

May 24, 2016

Photo: allafrica.com Former president Goodluck Jonathan and former finance minister, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala.

Photo: allafrica.com
Former president Goodluck Jonathan and former finance minister, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala.

Nigeria’s former Minister of Finance, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, has finally reacted to the High Court ruling ordering the Federal Government and her to provide information relating to N30 trillion allegedly unaccounted for during the administration of ex-President Goodluck Jonathan.

The court judgment followed the legal action entered against the Federal Government of Nigeria and Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala by the Socio-Economic Rights Agenda (SERAP) pursuant to the Freedom of Information Act.

A statement in Abuja, on Monday, by her media aide, Paul Nwabuikwu, said Dr. Okonjo-Iweala has though not read the judgment and would therefore defer any comments on the matter.

The former minister said by the date the court papers by SERAP were purportedly served, she was no longer a public officer, and therefore could not be subject of a request for production of any documents or information under the Freedom of information Act.

Okonjo-Iweala said the case premised on a baseless and unsubstantiated allegation by former CBN governor, Professor Charles Soludo that N30 trillion – about seven times the total annual budget during the Jonathan administration – went missing, confirms SERAP’s dubious motives and its role as a tool for politically motivated actors.

The statement read: “Our attention has been drawn to media reports regarding a court judgment alleged to have been entered against the Federal Government of Nigeria and Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala in respect of an action by the Socio-Economic Rights Agenda (SERAP) pursuant to the Freedom of Information Act.

 “The High Court, according to the media reports, ordered the Federal government and Dr. Okonjo Iweala to provide information relating to N30 trillion Naira allegedly unaccounted for.
 Please note the following:

“Dr Okonjo-Iweala hastens to state that she was never served with any court processes in relation to the said matter. She has not read the judgment and would therefore defer any comments on the matter.

“However from the media reports, the case was instituted in February 2015 but was not served until July 2015 after Dr Okonjo-Iweala had already ceased to be the Minister of Finance.

“By the date the said papers were purportedly served Dr Okonjo-Iweala was no longer a public officer and could therefore not be the subject of a request for production of any documents or information under the Freedom of information Act.

“The Court processes must have been served on others because the attention of Dr Okonjo-Iweala was never drawn to the matter in which she appears to have been sued personally. She therefore did not engage any lawyer to act for her in the matter.

“The decision of SERAP to anchor its case on a baseless and unsubstantiated allegation by former CBN governor, Professor Charles Soludo that N30 trillion – about seven times the total annual budget during the Jonathan administration – is missing confirms SERAP’s dubious motives and its role as a tool for politically motivated actors.

“It is curious that the first time Dr Okonjo-Iweala is being made aware of a matter filed against her in court is in news reports reporting the delivery of judgment. She has instructed her lawyers to take steps to set aside the judgment as it affects her.”

*Allafrica/Vanguard

0

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *