news From All Africa
- Africa: Bed Net Plan for Underfed Kids Curbs Malaria Deaths
[SciDev.Net] Giving extra bed nets to children weakened by lack of food could significantly curb child deaths from malaria, according to a mathematical model revealed last month.
- Kenya: Titles for Irregularly Acquired Lamu Land Revoked
[Capital FM] Mombasa -Ownership of more than 350,000 acres of irregularly acquired land has been revoked in Lamu County.
- Uganda: Uchumi Supermarkets Uchumi Files for Bankruptcy
[Monitor] Kampala -The increasing number of lawsuits against Uchumi Supermarkets (Uganda) Ltd has prompted the beleaguered company to petition the High Court to wind up its operations to safeguard its remaining assets from creditors.
- Africa: Five Key Challenges for New UN Refugee Chief
[IRIN] Oxford -Getting back to work following the end-of-year break can be tough. But spare a thought for Filippo Grandi, who arrived in Geneva this week to begin his five-year term as head of the UN’s refugee agency.
- Central African Republic: Fresh Allegations of Sexual Abuse Made Against UN Peacekeepers
[UN News] The United Nations is investigating new allegations of sexual exploitation and abuse and other misconduct by peacekeepers in the Central African Republic (CAR), this time by forces under the world body’s flag, the top UN official there said today, as further steps are being put in place to combat the scourge.
- Kenya: Governors Criticise New Law Giving President Appointment Powers
[Nation] Governors have criticised a new law giving the President powers to appoint top judges and police officers.
- Nigeria: UK-Based Nigerian Identifies Grandson in Isis Video
[This Day] A child shown at the end of the latest Islamic State propaganda video has been identified as the son of a South London woman of Nigerian parentage who converted to Islam and left for Syria several years ago, according to her father.
- Sudan: Darfur Rebels, Qatar to Meet in Paris
[Radio Dabanga] Paris -Minni Minawi, leader of the Sudan Liberation Movement (SLM-MM), has said that a meeting is scheduled to be held in Paris next week between Sudan’s armed movements and the Qatar government representatives “to discuss and exchange views on solving the problems of Darfur”.
- Nigeria: Singer Davido, Baby Mama's Quarrel Gets Messier
[Daily Trust] Lagos -Controversies between the popular hip hop act David Adeleke, popularly known as “Davido”, and his estranged baby mother, Sophia Momodu over alleged trafficking of their seven-month-old baby, Imade Adeleke, get messier on Tuesday as Davido releases to public domain, alleged medical report confirming that Sophia is a chain smoker of cannabis.
Digest powered by RSS Digest