news From All Africa
- South Africa: Oscar Pistorius Guilty of Murder – Not Culpable Homicide
[News24Wire] The Supreme Court of Appeal has replaced Oscar Pistorius’s culpable homicide conviction with murder, ruling that he should have foreseen the deadly impact his four bullets would have in a small bathroom.
- Africa: What Next for the African Standby Force?
[ISS] The readiness of the African Union’s (AU’s) African Standby Force (ASF) was put to the test during a major field exercise over three weeks in October and November. Troops marched into mock battle to take back territory seized by rebels in the fictional state of Carana, set up for Operation Amani Africa II at the SA National Defence Force’s combat training centre in the Northern Cape.
- South Africa: Supreme Court of Appeal Judge Begins Reading Pistorius Sentence
[News24Wire] Supreme Court of Appeal Judge Eric Leach began reading the judgment in the case against former paralympian Oscar Pistorius on Thursday morning.
- South Africa: I Never Said Mandela Was a Sell-Out – Malema
[News24Wire] EFF leader Julius Malema says he does not believe late former president Nelson Mandela was a sell-out, however he stands by the fact that he made compromises.
- South Africa: Appeal Court to Hand Down Pistorius Judgment
[News24Wire] The Supreme Court of Appeal is expected to hand down its judgment on Thursday on whether Oscar Pistorius’s culpable homicide conviction will be overturned and replaced with murder.
- Africa: MTN Fine Slashed As Nigeria CEO Quits
[News24Wire] Africa’s biggest mobile network MTN has announced that its Nigerian chief executive officer has resigned amid a multi-billion dollar fine in that country.
- South Africa: Decolonisation Should Be About Appreciating Difference, Not Despising It
[The Conversation Africa] My concern with grand narratives such as “decolonisation” is that they tend to silence what I would call “local narratives”. They are often accompanied by populist, often overwhelming rhetoric in ways that silence (if not obliterate) smaller narratives about who we are, where we are, how we got there, and how we can move forward.
- Nigeria: Wanted 'Potential' Child Suicide Bomber Arrested
[Leadership] The youngest face on the photograph of 100-wanted Boko Haram suspect, Master Usman Modu Tella, 11 years old, was yesterday arrested by soldiers in one of the camps for the Internally Displaced Persons (IDP) in Maiduguri, Borno State, army authority has said.
- Nigeria: Kachikwu Replaces Diezani As OPEC President
[Leadership] The minister of state for petroleum, Mr Ibe Kachiukwu, has replaced Mrs Diezani Alison-Madueke as the conference president of the Organisation of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC).
Digest powered by RSS Digest]]>