news From All Africa
- Africa: What Will it Take to Meet Global Housing Needs?
[SciDev.Net] Disaster zones and cities fuel the crisis. They are also hotbeds for knowledge and innovations to break through it.
- Djibouti: Base Could Be Start of U.S.-China Military Rivalry
[East African] Chinese leaders plan to build a military base in Djibouti to “extend their reach,” the head of the United States Africa Command said last week.
- Burkina Faso: Why Historic Vote Matters
[Al Jazeera] Voters in Burkina Faso are heading to polls on Sunday, in a closely watched election that could mark the beginning of a new chapter in the country’s political history.
- Kenya: Bid to Alter ICC Rules Flops
[East African] Kenya has lost its bid to have recanted evidence in the International Criminal Case against Deputy President William Ruto dropped after the Assembly of State Parties left the decision in the hands of the court’s Appeals Chamber.
- Tanzania: Magufuli Is All the Rage
[East African] News coming out of Tanzania since the most contested presidential election ever, which culminated in President Dr John Pombe Magufuli coming to power, has captured the imagination of many across the region –and provoked jealous reactions from some.
- Congo-Kinshasa: Govt Cracking Down on Third-Term Opponents, Says NGO
[East African] Democratic Republic of Congo state agents have been accused of cracking down on those calling for President Joseph Kabila to step down in November next year, when his constitutional two terms end.
- Uganda: Pope Asks Church to Care More for the Poor, Elderly
[Observer] Pope Francis has urged Catholic parishes and Christians, to take care of the poor and elderly. Speaking at the Bakateyamba House of Charity in Nalukolongo, Francis appealed to all parishes and Ugandans not to forget the poor.
- Central African Republic: Pope On 'Special Mission' to Restive Bangui
[East African] Pope Francis was set to embark on the final leg of his Africa — to Bangui in Central African Republic — on Sunday, which he has described as an opportunity to accomplish a “special mission”.
- Uganda: Francis Calls On Young Ugandans to 'Overcome Difficulties' With Faith
[Deutsche Welle] At a rally in Uganda, Pope Francis has urged young people to use faith to change ‘the negative into the positive.’ Next, the pontiff heads to the Central African Republic, potentially the most dangerous stop on his trip.
Digest powered by RSS Digest]]>