news From All Africa
- Egypt: Car Bomb Explodes at Homeland Security Building
[Aswat Masriya] Cairo -The bombing of a security building in Greater Cairo in the early hours of Thursday was caused by a car “which suddenly stopped” outside the building, a security source said.
- Kenya: Press Reporting On a Woman Brigadier Reinforced Patriarchy
[Nation] I celebrate the appointment of Fatumah Ahmed as a Brigadier in the Kenya Air Force and Managing Director, Defence Forces Medical Insurance Scheme (DEFMIS). The key word here is Brigadier, a rank that we are reliably informed, has not been held by a woman in Kenya before.
- Africa: Why Applying a Gender Lens Is Key to Addressing Africa's Challenges
[The Conversation Africa] A report on the Ebola outbreak in West Africa in early 2015 caught my attention.
- Kenya: Ruto Suffers Blow After ICC Judges Allow Use of Hostile Evidence
[Nation] Deputy President William Ruto was Wednesday dealt a blow after ICC judges allowed a prosecution request to use evidence earlier given by five hostile witnesses.
- South Africa: Pistorius's Lawyers Mum After Minister's Intervention
[News24Wire] There was no word from Oscar Pistorius’s lawyers on Wednesday night on whether they would pursue legal action following the decision by Justice Minister Michael Masutha to suspend the release of the Paralympian on parole.
- South Sudan: US Proposes UN Arms Embargo
[Al Jazeera] The US is proposing that the UN Security Council impose an arms embargo on South Sudan after its leader surprised rebels and observers by refusing to sign a peace deal.
- South Africa: Archbishop Tutu on New Medication
[News24Wire] Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu will stay in hospital for another two weeks after being put on a new course of antibiotics, the Desmond & Leah Tutu Legacy Foundation said on Thursday.
- Kenya: Kiplagat Beaten in World Athletics Federation Election
[The Star] OUTGOING Athletics Kenya president Isaiah Kiplagat yesterday lost his bid to become the International Association of Athletics Federation (IAAF) Vice President in an election which saw Britain’s Sebastian Coe elected President. Kiplagat also lost in his bid to retain the the IAAF council member seat after placing 7th with 64 votes in a race that attracted seven candidates.
- Kenya: Hague Court Allows Ruto's Missing Witness Reports
[The Star] ICC trial judges last evening allowed admission of recanted witness statements as evidence against Deputy President William Ruto.
Digest powered by RSS Digest]]>