news From All Africa
- Kenya: Suspended CS Kamau Must Plead to Charge, Court Rules
[Capital FM] Nairobi -The High Court on Wednesday directed suspended Transport and Infrastructure Cabinet Secretary Engineer Michael Kamau to honour summons issued by the anti-corruption court for Thursday.
- Kenya: Mombasa Tycoon Arrested Over Huge Ivory Haul in Singapore
[The Star] A Mombasa Tycoon and his two sons have been arrested by police over the Sh500 million ivory seized in Singapore last month.
- Ghana: Scores Dead in Blast At Accra Petrol Station
[Al Jazeera] An explosion at a petrol station in the Ghanaian capital, Accra, has left at least 70 people dead, the country’s fire brigade said.
- Burundi: Parliamentary Elections Postponed
[Deutsche Welle] After over a month of unrest, officials have announced that Burundi’s parliamentary polls will be postponed. The country was plunged into violence after president Nkurunziza’s decision to seek a third presidential term.
- South Africa: FIFA Official Admits Accepting Bribe for 2010 World Cup
[News24Wire] Ailing former FIFA official Chuck Blazer admits that he and others accepted bribes before the votes that gave the 1998 World Cup to France and the 2010 World Cup to South Africa, according to newly unsealed US court documents.
- South Africa: Seven Life Terms for Gang Boss
[News24Wire] George “Geweld” (allAfrica editor’s note: meaning “Violence”) Thomas, leader of the feared 28s gang in Bishop Lavis, was sentenced to an effective 175 years in jail in the Western Cape High Court on Wednesday.
- Kenya: PHOTO: Residents Protest By Planting Shrubs On Bad Road
[The Star] Hundreds of residents of Ngenia village in Laikipia North constituency yesterday demonstrated over poor state of roads in the area.
- Kenya: Kenyatta, Former PM Odinga Battle for Western Vote
[The Star] PRESIDENT Uhuru Kenyatta has moved to wrest Western Kenya from Raila Odinga’s political grip. It is understood that the President and Deputy William Ruto have decided to focus their attention on the Cord strongholds, among them Western Kenya, as they prepare for the next election.
- Kenya: Obama University Closes Down, Before It Opens
[The Star] An institution in Ndenderu, Kiambu county, named the Barack Obama University was yesterday closed by the Commission of University Education.
Digest powered by RSS Digest]]>