South Africa, Nigeria trade barbs over attacks on migrants
April 26, 2015
“We are not sure which actions or behaviour of the South African Government the Nigerian Government is protesting,” the South African foreign ministry said in a statement.
“If this action is based on the incidents of attacks on foreign nationals in some parts of our country, it would be curious for a sisterly country to want to exploit such a painful episode for whatever agenda,” the ministry said, lamenting Nigeria’s “unfortunate and regrettable step.”
Taking aim at its rival for economic and political dominance in Africa, Pretoria said it had held off blaming Nigeria’s government when 84 South Africans were killed in the collapse of a church building in Lagos last year.
South Africa had also refrained from blaming Nigerian authorities for the “more than nine months delay” in the repatriation of the bodies “or for the fact that when these bodies eventually returned, they were in a state that they could not be touched or viewed as required by our burial practice.”
The testy statement from Pretoria comes a day after Nigeria announced it was recalling its ambassador in Pretoria for consultations over “the on-going xenophobia” in the country.
South African President Jacob Zuma deployed troops last week to quell the violence in Johannesburg and the port city of Durban, which forced thousands of people from their homes over the past few weeks.
No deadly attacks have been reported in the past week.
– ‘Fear and uncertainty’ –
The Nigerian foreign ministry said the attacks by mobs accusing foreigners of stealing their jobs had “created fear and uncertainty” among African migrants in “the former apartheid enclave.”[caption id="attachment_17743" align="alignright" width="300"] A man runs holding a Nigerian flag as thousands march against the recent wave of xenophobic attacks in South Africa through the streets of Johannesburg on April 23, 2015 (AFP Photo/Gianluigi Guercia)[/caption]
On Wednesday, the country’s junior foreign minister Musiliu Obanikoro summoned South Africa’s High Commissioner in Abuja to demand Pretoria take “concrete steps to quell the unrest”.
Obanikoro also demanded South Africa compensate the victims of the attacks.
Hundreds of Zimbabweans, Malawians and Mozambicans have been repatriated by their governments over the unrest, which has drawn fierce criticism of South Africans from Africans in other parts of the continent.
In its statement Sunday, South Africa’s foreign ministry hit back, reminding Nigeria of its own security shortcomings, as laid bare by the Boko Haram insurgency.
“We hope that the more than 200 girls kidnapped by Boko Haram will someday be reunited with their families,” South Africa said referring to a group of students kidnapped in the northern Nigerian town of Chibok that have been missing for over a year.*Source AFP/Yahoo
Nkemnji Global Tech
African Energy Chamber calls for more US-Africa Energy investments with series about unjustified risk perceptions on Africa
Pan African Visions | May 11, 2021 3:56 pm
Pan African Visions | May 11, 2021 3:41 pm
Pan African Visions | May 10, 2021 11:34 pm
Pan African Visions | May 10, 2021 11:20 pm
May 11, 2021 3:56 pm
May 11, 2021 3:41 pm
May 11, 2021 3:30 pm
Cameroon-based fintech, Maviance PLC, closes its Seed round to fund its expansion within the Central African Economic Region (CEMAC)
May 11, 2021 3:13 pm
WFP AND UNHCR ROLL OUT TARGETED FOOD ASSISTANCE TO MEET NEEDS OF THE MOST VULNERABLE REFUGEES IN RWANDA
May 11, 2021 3:02 pm